Parallel and Grey Imports
C.R.Kennedy & Company Pty Ltd are the sole authorised Australian distributors for leading brands such as Sigma, Pentax, Ricoh, and Leica Geosystems. Parallel and Grey Imports are described as product imported directly into a country by a company or persons other than the manufacturer's authorised distributor in that country.
For an example of the risks associated with Parallel or Grey Imported products please see the following article -http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/07/28/1217097135143.html
1) C.R.Kennedy & Company is not bound to honour any warranty, service or maintenance agreements, nor provide any technical support, for products purchased through third party distributors or dealers. This includes any customer care packages (CCP) service agreements purchased for Leica Geosytems instruments. We will not honour any warranty /guarantee supplied by FLT Geosytems, d-d.photographics.com.au, DealsDirect.com.au and globalmediapro.com.
2) Electrical products sourced from overseas requiring batteries, chargers, etc, may not meet Australian electrical standards. Plugs will require an adaptor. Adaptors supplied by parallel/grey importers are often not electrically approved and are of inferior quality. In June 2014, a young woman was fatally electrocuted when using a grey-imported USB charger: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/faulty-usb-phone-charger-blamed-for-sheryl-aldeguers-death-20140627-zsoc8.html.
3) In many instances products supplied for Australia require special modifications for the Australian market. User manuals, language, firmware, drivers and software often differ from country to country.
4) Laws governing radio broadcast frequencies and laser diode energy outputs will differ from country to country. C.R.Kennedy cannot guarantee equipment sourced through third party suppliers will comply with Australian laws.
5) We have had a recent case where product imported through an eBay vendor was found to be stolen goods. This instance is now a police matter.
6) CR Kennedy & Company, operates in a global market place. The lines we represent in Australia are globally competitive in price. The savings by purchasing from parallel/grey importers are small. The risks are great.